Strawberry Salmorejo with Olive Oil Caviar
The Strawberry Salmorejo with Olive Oil Caviar is a molecular gastronomy dish by Chef Artur Martinez from Capritx (1 Michelin Star) in Spain.
Salmorejo, typical dish from Cordoba in the south of Spain, is similar to a traditional tomato gazpacho but richer and smoother. In this recipe, strawberries are used instead of tomatoes to create a unique dish that it is then topped with Caviaroli olive oil caviar to add a magical touch.
Ingredients for Strawberry Salmorejo (4 servings)
- 100 g (3.5 oz) red bell pepper
- 300 g (10.6 oz) strawberries
- 100 g (3.5 oz) forest strawberries (replace with strawberries if not available)
- 1/5 garlic clove, peeled
- 120 ml (4.1 oz) extra virgin olive oil
- 100 ml (3.4 oz) mineral water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 10 ml (0.34 oz) Sherry Vinegar
- Powdered freeze-dried strawberries
Ingredients for Brunoise of strawberry, bell pepper and basil
- 1/2 handful of basil leaves
- 75 ml (2.5 oz) extra virgin olive oil
- 25 g (0.9 oz) strawberries cut in cubes
- 15 g (0.53 oz) peeled red bell pepper cut in cubes
- 5 g (0.18 oz) of finely chopped onions
- 4 asparagus ribbons (cut them thin lengthwise with vegetable peeler or mandolin)
- 4 tbsp Caviaroli olive oil caviar
- Salt flakes
1- Wash the strawberries, cut them in quarters and place them in the fridge in a covered container for 24 hours.
2- Process strawberries with the rest of the ingredients in a food processor until smooth.
3- Pass mixture through a fine sieve.
4- Add vinegar and salt if necessary and keep in the fridge until serving. It needs to be really cold before serving so allow for a few hours in the fridge before serving.
1- Process the basil with the olive oil until smooth.
2- Mix the basil oil with the rest of the ingredients and reserve.
Assemble and Serve
1- In the bottom of a glass, place a base of the strawberry brunoise making sure you do not touch the sides of the glass.
2- Taking the same care, cover with strawberry salmorejo.
3- Finish with a ribbon of asparagus, a spoon of Caviaroli olive oil caviar, croutons and a pinch of salt flakes.
4- Serve immediately before it gets warm.